Sunday, July 19, 2015

The best articles & resources I've found this week (weekly)

I'm trying something new where I'm having Diigo post my bookmarks from the week as a way to share my favorite articles and blogs from the last week.  The comments below each link are things I highlighted in the actual article.
  • tags: blog
    • Build a conference session so that it prefaces and provokes work that will be ongoing and online.
    • I don’t expect an NCTM conference to provide in-depth professional development, but act more like a booster shot for my own learning.
  • tags: blog
    • We as teachers are all trying, to the best of our ability, to have students reach the best of their ability.
    • Just because something works for you doesn’t mean it works for someone else. 
    • Just because something won’t work for you doesn’t mean it doesn‘t work for someone else.
    • Assume every teacher has the best of intentions
    • You can only do what you can do. If you see a good idea that may be out of your comfort zone, try it out. If it doesn’t work, see if you can change it to make it better or if it’s just not for you at this time. If you see someone say that what you are currently doing is “bad,” read it and reflect.  Maybe there is something you need to change, but maybe there isn’t.
    • You are all inspiring teachers. Let’s build on that by putting positivity out there (“This is something awesome that worked for me”) instead of negativity (“Doing this instead of that is bad!”).
    • Mold your Twitter and blog feed into something inspiring for you. If every time you read a tweet from ____, you roll your eyes, feel like a horrible teacher, or get defensive, stop following that person. If your eyes glaze over every time you see another post from ____ in your feed, unsubscribe.  (That’s not to say you should only follow people that teach exactly like you do.)
  • tags: blog
        1. When I meet someone new, I’m going to ask them some form of the question, “Is there anybody here that you want to meet?” And then help them meet that person or those people.
        1. When I meet someone new, I’m going to ask what is the focus of their role in education, and then I’m going to try to connect them with people who I think they might benefit from knowing.
        2.  
         
  • tags: blog
  • tags: blog
    • I would not recommend STARTING to form a Professional Learning Network when attending a conference for the first time.  In order to have a connected experience at a conference, the connections need to be made before I ever set foot on site.
    • attending #Flipcon is like attending a family reunion. And while I want to form new connections with new attendees I have never connected with before, I am just so thrilled to see face to face the online folks who I've already "met" and who "get me" and understand me.
    • My connections have grown exponentially each year. Also, the connections I've made have encouraged me to not only attend conferences but also to present at them. I'm no longer a passive attendee, but an active participant. My confidence and comfort level has increased the more I've interacted.
  • "What do you want students to experience in your class? What are some projects you have started pulling together? How do you want students to be able to collaborate with you and with one another outside of class?"
    tags: blog
      • What do you want students to experience in your class?
      • What are some projects you have started pulling together?
      • How do you want students to be able to collaborate with you and with one another outside of class?
    • Instructional technologists should be experts on high quality instruction first. Technology will enhance instruction. That means it will help a great teacher create even better learning experiences for students, or will make it more obvious when a teacher is not engaging students in meaningful ways because they will be distracted by the bells and whistles of technology.
Posted from Diigo. The rest of my favorite links are here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...